Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amended 2020 incorrect

I amended my return so I could add my 1098-E that I received late in the mail. It did not change anything as I am married and filing separate, but when I got to the end I could see that my State tax went from $41 to $0 and my Federal went from $2,423 to $3,011. I tried to cancel the return, but when I tried to print it, the original was gone and all that was left was the amended return on my turbo tax account. 

Luckily, I had saved the original return I had done. Is it ok to ignore the mistakes on the amended return and just send my original one?
Also, on the amended it states that I owe $3,011 in a few of the boxes, but the actually instructions for writing my check have the original amount written of $2,423. I am sure something glitched and it is somehow not registering my $600 stimulus deduction.
What should I do? Send the original or attempt to amend the amended return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Amended 2020 incorrect

OK ... did you EVER file the original return ???   If you did not then using the  amendment process was  wrong.

You need to undo the amendment process so you can efile the original return.   Student loan interest should not make a negative impact on the return so you can leave it if you wish or remove it since it is not a required entry. 

How do I cancel or undo an amended return in TurboTax Online?

If you started amending your tax return by accident and would like to cancel the amendment:

1. Open your return if it’s not already open.
  2. In the left menu select Cancel amend.
  3. Select Yes, I want to cancel my amended return.

How do I cancel or undo an amended return in the TurboTax CD/Download software?

If you started amending your federal return by accident and would like to cancel the amendment, follow this process to correctly "unamend" your federal return:

1. Open your return.
  2. Switch to Forms Mode (Windows instructions | Mac instructions).
  3. In the left pane, select Form 1040X.
    • Windows: After the form is generated in the right pane, click the Delete Form button at the bottom of the window.
    • Mac: From the Forms menu, select Remove Form 1040X.
  4. Follow the on-screen instructions to remove the 1040X from your return
  5. Important: Go back through the TurboTax interview and undo any changes you made after you selected the option to amend your 2018 return, as merely deleting the 1040X will not undo those manual entries for you.

State Amendments

The best way to "unamend" your state return is to go through your state return from the beginning and keep your eyes peeled for amend-related screens or questions.

The amend question usually appears right at the beginning or towards the end of the state interview (never in the middle).

Correct any entries that have to do with an amended return, e.g.:

• Answer No when asked if you want to amend;
  • Clear any amend-related checkboxes;
  • Delete entries in the tax year field.
  • Note: In a few state programs, you actually have to answer Yes to the amend question so you can revisit the screens that contain the information you want to delete.

If you still can't get rid of your state amendment form, try clearing your state return and starting over.

Amended 2020 incorrect

No, I chose the file by mail option so I have not filed the original return yet. 

Can I go ahead and send the original and ignore the amended return in my Turbo Tax account? Or do I need to go through the process of deleting it?

Amended 2020 incorrect

• To amend in TurboTax online, you click on Tax Home in the left panel
  • Then  Your Tax Returns and Documents at the bottom of the screen
  • From there you click on 2020 and start the amend
  • If there are problems with the amend, you cancel the amend

If you followed those steps, then your original file would not be affected. You simply cancel the amend.

If you put the changes into your original file, then you have lost your original file. You can attempt to fix the original file by removing the 1098-E.  You need to get back to the same figures on your original return and then add the 1098-E.

Then e-file the return with the 1098-E.  There will be no need to amend.

@dololy1

Amended 2020 incorrect

I think you misunderstood my situation. 

I tried to cancel the amended return but it still saved and override the original return. Luckily, I had already saved and printed the original return without the 1098-E. Can I go ahead and send the original one regardless of what is saved in my turbotax account?

I cannot e-file due to my husband being an NRA and turbotax reading that section as an error (i have to manually write in NRA)

Amended 2020 incorrect

Undoing the amendment also requires you to undo the changes however if you want to keep the changes then simply print the return you want to mail in and ignore the form 1040X if you still have it in the PDF file. 

Amended 2020 incorrect

Yes, you can go ahead and mail your tax return regardless of what is saved in your TurboTax account.

@dololy1

Steve B
Returning Member

Amended 2020 incorrect

If I failed to include stimulus #2 on my 2020 income tax filed in Feb 2021, will I need to file an amended return or will the IRS make the adjustment? This omission increased my refund by the amount of the stimulus #2.

Steve B

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

Amended 2020 incorrect

@Steve B

You don't need to amend your return.  The IRS will make the adjustment for you when processing your return.

See Q G2 on the IRS’s 2020 Recovery Rebate Credit — Topic G: Correcting issues after the 2020 tax return is filed page for more information.

Amended 2020 incorrect

thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies