turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

alanalambert
Returning Member

Am I missing something? I filed my amended taxes Feb. '20. 5 mo. later, I contacted IRS and they told me to file again bc of no record of my file. I did again

I amended my 2017 taxes so I'm in bit of frustration, as April is the last month to amend. I've received no faulty letters about my paperwork or anything. There's no way of me knowing if it went through because the Wheres My Amended Return has always said there is nothing on file and to give it 13 weeks... it's been over 48 weeks and nothing. All of my paperwork was filled correctly twice. I'm afraid to send another one as this will delay longer and cause more confusion IF they received the first two already.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

Am I missing something? I filed my amended taxes Feb. '20. 5 mo. later, I contacted IRS and they told me to file again bc of no record of my file. I did again

When did you send your original return?  In order for IRS to process an amended return, they have to first process an original filed return.  

If they are still waiting for that original return and have not received it, then they are unable to process the amended return.  They must process the original return first.

Why don't you try to get a transcript of the original return.  If one has not been filed, then you must file the original corrected up-to-date return first to get your refund.  Be sure to specify the year of return you need the transcript or copy of.

To obtain a full copy of your filed and processed tax return (including income forms such as W-2s and 1099s), print and complete IRS Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return. Be sure to follow the instructions on page 2 of the printout. The IRS charges $50 for each copy. Please allow up to 75 days for delivery.

If you can't wait that long or don't want to pay the $50 fee, consider a free IRS transcript. A transcript contains most line items from your return and can be used if you need last year's AGI or other numbers from a previously-filed return. Here's what a transcript looks like. To order, go to the IRS Get Transcript page and choose an option: online (same-day) or by mail (5–10 days).  If they do not have a transcript to send you, then you have probabably not filed the original return.

To find out more information, including the difference between a transcript and a copy of the return, please refer to the following:
Getting a Transcript or copy of return from IRS

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies