turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Accidentally put “someone else can claim me as dependent”

I filed my taxes for 2019 and selected that someone else can claim me as dependent. I’m fully independent and my parents are not planning on claiming me. I am 20 years old, work full time and live outside of the household. I started amending my return to send it in. My job is affected by the Covid-19 and was counting on the stimulus check to help out with bills but since I claimed dependent, I’m afraid I won’t qualify. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

If you were claimed as a dependent, or could have been claimed as a dependent then you do not qualify for the payment.

However, if you just made a mistake on your tax return and no one claimed or can claim you because you provide more than half of your own support and are not a full-time student, then you can certainly amend your return on Form 1040X to indicate this.   This is a common mistake for young people who are used to being a tax dependent - particularly in the first year that they are no longer a dependent.  

To amend your return in TurboTax, just log in to your account (or open your program or app) and select the option "I need to amend a return that has already been filed and accepted".  Then navigate to the Personal Info section of the program, update this question, print your return and mail it in for processing.  

I am sorry that your job has been affected by this pandemic, and I hope things resume to normal for you soon!  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I accidentally checked "someone can claim me as a dependent" on my return.

I am wondering if this will affect my stimulus money..

No one can claim me and no one has in 2018 or 2019. 

Will I still get the economic relief package?

I haven't filed in a long time.

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

If you indicated on your return that you "could be claimed on someone else's return" then you will not be eligible for a stimulus payment.  If you cannot be claimed on someone else's return you need to file an amendment to correct that entry. 

If you originally filed your return with TurboTax Online, simply log into your account and select “Amend a return that was filed and accepted.” If you used our CD/download product, sign back into your return and select “Amend a filed return.” 

The amendment will need to printed and mailed in and could take up to 2 months for the IRS to process.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies