turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Accidentally filed saying I could be claimed as a dependent. How do I amend this so I qualify for stimulus checks?

I just filed my tax return but accidentally checked yes when asked if I could be claimed as a dependent by someone else even though I can't. I'm 25 and make more than 40k/yr. How do I amend this so that I can qualify for the next round of stimulus checks if there is one? I don't see a box to change this answer on the 1040x form. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Accidentally filed saying I could be claimed as a dependent. How do I amend this so I qualify for stimulus checks?

Yes that is correct.   Many people have to go in to My Info when they amend to change a filing status, add or remove a dependent, change a SSN, etc.etc etc.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

8 Replies

You cannot fix it yet.

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you just e-filed, nor can you stop it.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox on the corner.

If you left out a W-2, a 1099G, or a dependent, or a 1099 etc…DO NOT change your return while it is “pending.”  The changes will go nowhere.

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and make the necessary changes to your tax return and re-submit your return. 

If the IRS accepts your return, however, then you have to wait longer until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return and e-file or mail  it in. You have to be able to work from that return exactly the way it was when it was e-filed originally.  You will need to use a form called a 1040X.

Meanwhile, DO NOT go in and start changing anything on your return in the system, or you will make a mess for yourself.  Sit tight and wait until you see what the IRS does with the return you just e-filed

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Yes, I understand that I cannot change it right now. My return was accepted shortly after I submitted and now I am just waiting for the money to be deposited in the next few weeks. I know that the 1040x form won't be available until late March. But once it does become available, how can I change my answer on the form? I don't see a box or any options to change my answer. Thanks. 

The way to change it is in My Info when you are asked if you can be claimed as someone else's dependent.

That's where I'd go on turbo tax if I was filing my initial return. Not on the 1040x form. 

Since you do not yet have a 2020 Form 1040X what makes you think you cannot go to My Info when you finally have the form?   People go to My Info all the time when they need to amend.

Oh ok, I see what you're saying. I was thinking about manually printing out the 1040x form and filling it out by hand then mailing it in. The physical 1040x form doesn't have a place to change my answer from "Yes I can be claimed as a dependent" to "No, I can't". If I amend through TurboTax online, then I can change it in My Info? Correct? 

Yes that is correct.   Many people have to go in to My Info when they amend to change a filing status, add or remove a dependent, change a SSN, etc.etc etc.

Got it, thanks for the help!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies