turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2020 taxes amended

I recently completed my 2020 taxes and sent them by mail. I had a balance due that I was going to pay when the deadline was near. I went back into turbo tax and ran an update and due to the unemployment credit my taxes are almost half. Can I just send a check now with the original voucher for the new, correct, amount and let the IRS Sort it out or should I send an amended return along with the check that will include a new voucher and amount due. As of 4/27/21 my taxes show non file with the IRS so they have not yet been processed and accepted.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

2020 taxes amended

JUST MAIL THE CHECK ... do not send in the amended return as the IRS will be making the correction automatically.  Or better yet pay directly online here :  www.IRS.gov/payments

View solution in original post

3 Replies

2020 taxes amended

YES ... not only can you send in the new correct balance due by 5/17  but you should.  That is a wise choice.  

2020 taxes amended

That is a good answer. But part two of the question would be should the check I send be attached to a new amended return or should I just mail a check with the amended  voucher? Being that my return will automatically be adjusted, I'm told, by the IRS for unemployment credit I would Imagine just a new voucher and a check would be the way to go

2020 taxes amended

JUST MAIL THE CHECK ... do not send in the amended return as the IRS will be making the correction automatically.  Or better yet pay directly online here :  www.IRS.gov/payments

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies