turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2020 Tax Return Status

I completed and submitted a 2020 Tax Return electronically for my mother-in-law who passed away on 3/16/2021.  I received an E-file Status response from TurboTax that the IRS Accepted the return on 3/26/2021.  There was a refund due.  It's been almost 7 weeks since filing and still we still have not received a refund.  Using the IRS "Where's My Refund" tool, it reports "You may not have entered your information correctly. Please verify your personal tax data and try again."  I've checked and re-checked the data (SSN, Filing Status, and Refund Amount) and it is correct. When I contact the IRS to inquire if they have received the submission, they will not talk to me because I'm not the taxpayer.  I've submitted a "Form 56" which is supposed to allow the IRS to share info from my filing.  Regardless of my status, why am I getting the response from the IRS tool I described above??  If I resubmit a new return, will this just complicate things further??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

2020 Tax Return Status

Our condolences for your loss.

1. You are getting the message because the IRS will not issue a refund to the deceased and a different form, Form 1310, would be needed to establish you as the authorized representative.

2. You are correct, submitting a new Form 1040 without amending would complicate the situation. Also, the e-filing would be rejected. The e-file only allows for the social security number to be submitted once. Here are options for what can be done:

1. Reach out to the IRS
  2. Contact an IRS taxpayer advocate for help resolving the matter
  3. Wait for the Notice to be mailed and reach out to the IRS according to the instructions on the Notice. 

Form 1310 can used to claim the refund and establishes the authorized representative to receive the refund. Any refund would then be issued in that representative's name. This form can be mailed in by itself. TurboTax can help you prepare the form. 

• However, if you were appointed personal representative by the court, then do not use this form. The IRS needed a copy of the court certificate showing your appointment attached to Form 1040, instead. 
  • Form 56 is for establishing a fiduciary relationship. It should not be used to establish yourself as an authorized representative. The IRS would want Form 4868, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative, instead, but that form requires two signatures. 
    • ​​​​​​​If you do not have Power of Attorney and are not the executor or administrator of the decedent's estate, then Form 1310 will be needed, which would only require your signature.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Since your mother-in-law passed away in 2021, she may be eligible for stimulus payments. If she had not received eligible stimulus payments before passing, then it should have been claimed as a Recovery Rebate Credit. If it was not, then you could file an amended return and add Form 1310 at the same time.

​​​​​​​Her final return would be filed for 2021 in the spring of 2022.

You may wish to review this resource for more tax guidance about your situation: Death in the Family.
For full details, see IRS Resource: 
2020 Publication 559: Survivors, Executors, and Administrators.

2020 Tax Return Status

Thank you for the info.  However, I'm not sure how the IRS would know she is deceased??  It was not indicated on the RETURN...??

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

2020 Tax Return Status

When you completed her return, you would need to do the following to make sure her date of death is added so the IRS is aware someone else is filing the return on her behalf.

You will need to make an entry in the My Info section of the program though to reflect the date of her passing.

1. Log back into TurboTax
  2. Select the black panel on the left hand side of the screen and select My Info
  3. Under the page titled Personal info summary, select Edit to the right of her name
  4. Scroll down to section 3, A few other things we need to know.  You will be able to answer the questions here to reflect her date of death.

Deceased taxpayer

The top of the return should also say Deceased with the taxpayer's name and date of death.  Please see the sample below.

Deceased info page 1

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
pventrapragada
Returning Member

2020 Tax Return Status

I filed my federal and Indiana State taxes electronically.  Received an email confirming both state and federal were accepted. This is the first time I filed Indiana State Taxes electronically and provided my bank information for payment. Is there additional information I am required to be mailed to the state?

Please advise. How can I get an electronic receipt from Federal and Indiana State tax authorities? Appreciate your response................Thanks, Prasad 

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

2020 Tax Return Status

If your returns have been accepted, you don't need to mail anything in.   You can check your e-file status to find the confirmations you are looking for.   There are rare cases when you need to send information in to the IRS or state, but that information and instructions would be printed out when you printed your tax forms.     @pventrapragada

pventrapragada
Returning Member

2020 Tax Return Status

Thanks. 

My 2020 Indiana State taxes were filed electronically and ta due payment was made via my bank account. I received e mail confirmation Indiana State Taxes were accepted. Am I required to send any additional paperwork to INDIANA STATE FINANCE DEPARTMENT

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

2020 Tax Return Status

No, your Indiana taxes for 2020 are done!   @pventrapragada

pventrapragada
Returning Member

2020 Tax Return Status

Thanks for your response...

2020 Tax Return Status

Thank you for responding.  This is nice info to know, however the 1040SR form has been submitted.  Just need to know if the IRS received it.  It shouldn't be that difficult.   I have received all sorts of suggestions regarding forms I should use.  All are good but seem to be things that should have been submitted along with the 1040SR.  TurboTax reported that the IRS accepted the electronic filing.  Is that based on a response acknowledgement from the IRS or is it an assumption made by TurboTax that there were no error messages when submitted electronically??  

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

2020 Tax Return Status

No, if you received a message stating the returns were accepted, that means the taxing agencies have received your return and accepted it.  The return is filed at this point.

What does Accepted mean when you e-file your return

@Mike972

pventrapragada
Returning Member

2020 Tax Return Status

Hi Dawn, thanks for your response and it says I was finished with INDIANA TAXES. With the State return acceptance email I received the following message. Please confirm if I am required to send Indians returns with payment...

Next step: Find the copy of your return you printed for your records.

Inside your printed return will be the payment voucher you need, which also includes the mailing address where your payment and voucher should be mailed.
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

2020 Tax Return Status

You don't need to send the return because it is filed electronically.  With the voucher that printed out, you can clip off the bottom coupon and mail in the payment to the address with the coupon and check or money order included, pay online (the upper half of the voucher has instructions on how to do so), or visit your nearest branch of Indiana's Department of Revenue and pay in person.

pventrapragada
Returning Member

2020 Tax Return Status

With the electronic Indiana State Return, I provided my bank account information for the tax owed. Am I still required to send a bank check for tax payment via postage?

Appreciate your response...............Thanks

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

2020 Tax Return Status

If you have provided your bank account information for the government to withdraw funds, you should not need to send a check.  

To contact Indiana to verify, click here:  Your state

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies