Solved: Re: 2019 Tax Amendment

namanaa

2019 Tax Amendment

Hello All - I was supposed to file tax returns as "Married and filing Jointly", But my wife has already filed her 2019 tax returns as "Married and filing separately", this was done by mistake. My wife has already received her returns. Now, As per my understanding i have to amend my wife tax returns. I have not yet amended my wife's tax returns and below are some of my questions:

- As July 15, 2020 is the last date to file tax extension, Do i need to file for extension?  ( i know its too late)

- If i amend my wife's tax returns now as "Married and filing Jointly", Do i still need to file for my extension? ( Considering amendment as paper filing)

- Also,i see latest update on IRS that amendment can be done electronically now. Is it possible on turbotax? https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-announces-form-1040-x-electronic-filing-options-coming-this-su[prod...

Thanks in advance

Namanaa

KristinaK

2019 Tax Amendment

You can file an extension through midnight of 07/15/20 your time. 

I would file an extension just to be safe. Here is how. 

When the IRS makes the e-filing of amendments available, TurboTax will update its software. There is no specific date on when the IRS will have that available yet. Probably towards the end of August. 

KristinaK

2019 Tax Amendment

bs06105

2019 Tax Amendment

yes