stephtayl0r

2018 W-2c

Hi. My employer just sent me a W-2c and it appears box 12 D has been added. It was not on my 2018 W-2. My 2018 taxes has already been filed. Do I have to refile just because of 12 D? Nothing else changed.

JohnW222

2018 W-2c

No, you don't have to refile just for this.  But you may want to, if the following applies to you.

The Box 12 "D" code signifies an elective deferral to a section 401(k) cash or deferred arrangement, or a deferral under a SIMPLE retirement account that's part of a section 401(k) arrangement. 

This additional information doesn't affect your return directly, unless you qualify for the so-called "Saver's Credit."  See "Who Can Take This Credit" on page 2 of Form 8880, Credit for Qualified Retirement Savings Contributions to see if you qualify for the credit. 

If you do qualify, you might want to amend your return to claim the credit.

JohnW222

2018 W-2c