turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2018 amendment filling status and paid penalty for late filling

Hi,

las year i filled my  2018 tax  by mistake calculated and  paid 1805$ tax, and 600 late filling penalty.  i discovered that mistake now  and want to amend, can i get back  the tax i paid and penalty as my taxable income was 0$ in 2018. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can file up to 3 years late and get a refund. The deadline to get a refund on 2018 is almost here.

Here is how you can file an amended return. 

• Save a copy of the original return before doing an amended return. See: 
  • Pay additional tax. Taxpayers who will owe more tax should file Form 1040-X and pay the tax as soon as possible to avoid penalties and interest. They should consider using IRS Direct Pay to pay any tax directly from a checking or savings account for free.
  • Use separate forms if amending more than one tax year.
  • Track amended return status online. Taxpayers can track the status of their amended tax return in English and Spanish using Where’s My Amended Return?  Amended returns take up to 16 weeks to process and up to three weeks from the date of mailing to show up in the system.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can file up to 3 years late and get a refund. The deadline to get a refund on 2018 is almost here.

Here is how you can file an amended return. 

• Save a copy of the original return before doing an amended return. See: 
  • Pay additional tax. Taxpayers who will owe more tax should file Form 1040-X and pay the tax as soon as possible to avoid penalties and interest. They should consider using IRS Direct Pay to pay any tax directly from a checking or savings account for free.
  • Use separate forms if amending more than one tax year.
  • Track amended return status online. Taxpayers can track the status of their amended tax return in English and Spanish using Where’s My Amended Return?  Amended returns take up to 16 weeks to process and up to three weeks from the date of mailing to show up in the system.

Hi,

Thanks for reply, I filled my 2018 in 2020, how much time do i have to file amend. secondly in amend can i claim penalties which i have paid already together with excessive tax i .e. i have paid 1800 extra tax and 600$ penalties for late filing. 

best regards

AmyC
Expert Alumni

1. You did not timely file your original return. You have until April 15, 2021. The IRS says at Amended Returns & Form 1040X | Internal Revenue Service

Oct 14, 2020 — Generally, for a credit or refund, you must file Form 1040-X within 3 years after the date you timely filed your original return or within 2 years after the date you paid the tax.

2. Yes, you can claim a refund for all that you overpaid. Enjoy!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies