turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

beleester

1040x original amounts are wrong Why?

I have a similar problem. I e-filed my return, then made some changes when I noticed an error.  However, Turbotax didn't go into "amend mode" for some reason.  Now it thinks I received a refund on my original  return when I didn't, so it's saying that I don't need to make an amendment because nothing changed.  Is there a way I can revert to the return that I actually filed?

TurboTax does not go into "amend mode" automatically.
to revert you must manually undo any changes you made..
It helps to have a paper copy of the original return you filed, which should be in your tax records in any case.

I'm also confused about the Ammend Mode.  I am amending my 2017 W2.  in which Line 12W and DD were swapped.  This really played havoc with my HSA consequence. I entered Amend Mode then I made the corrections (meter was 0 to start) and I thought this would be it but then TT started asking for all my personal info again and then asked  me to go to Deductions. Doing all this other stuff also alters the meter which makes me very uneasy about this process.   When do we exit Amend mode? After only making the necessary change or complete all the Federal and Stated Prompts. Also when I attempted to save TT tied to name the file the same as the original return but I modified the name with "_Amended".  Having to reenter original data already in the original return is asking for trouble.  Please advise.
rdunn
Returning Member

I have a very similar problem.  TT puts an incorrect amount in line 15B of Form 1040X and it throws everything off.  I can't find where this number is being drawn from.  I may have to just do the amended return by hand as there seems to be NO way anymore to get help from TT.

How to do your own 1040X:
You must have a copy of the original tax return you want to update.

The simplest way is to prepare your correct tax return (using TurboTax for example, or other means) and print it.
Then lay the paper printouts of both returns (correct and original) side-by-side.
You now have all the information needed to prepare Form1040X by hand.
It's pretty straight-forward.

The blank form in fillable PDF format and its instructions are available at <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.irs.gov">www.irs.gov</a>.
Mail to the same address you would mail your original tax return.

To amend a second time, and get the proper amounts in Column A,

you must get rid of the 1040X that applies to the first time, meanwhile keeping your revised tax return as the new baseline for the second amendment.
Amend again using the revised return as the starting point. The Form 1040X should then reflect your second set of changes.

If you are using the CD/Download version, saving to a new tax return file may be helpful.

Always make paper print copies of the original or revised before starting this.

[Update: Although it all seems reasonable, I found out this doesn't work. TurboTax won't cooperate.]
Heister79

I need to ammed my 2018 taxes for Adaptation check

Mlklerx
Returning Member

I am confused.  I started an amended 2019 return.  The fed and state refunds changed to zero...I understand this.  I added a 1099-r and completed my amended state return as well.  Numbers changed to I owe $2 for fed and will get $15 refund from state.  It asked if I wanted to print the returns and I did.  After I selected to print them the $15 counted down to zero.  Still says owe $2 and my 1040x reflects that. But my state amended return shows no refund and nothing owed. What happened to the $15? So confused.  

ThomasM125
Employee Tax Expert

I do not know why your return showed the $15 initially, but it would be unusual to get a state refund if you added pension income to your return. It would not be unusual for your state tax to stay the same, since pension income is often not taxable on a state return.

So, your return is probably correct.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have read through all of these and it doesn't really answer the question.  I amended my 2018 return due to  now being able to  take the PMI deduction.  After I amended the return I noticed the "original amount" column for itemized deductions does not match the original amount on my 2018 return.  It is off by $3635.  I have zero idea why

I have gone through the original and the amended line by line.  I called Turbotax- they were of no help.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It sounds like something was changed in the input before the amended return and after your return was filed.

You may need to start your amended return again.  Before you start preparing your amended return, review the input in the return to ensure the amounts match to the return as originally filed.  If they do not, make any adjustments in the input section as needed to ensure they match what was originally filed.

Once you confirm the amounts match, you can then start the amended return.

Thank you- I checked every line- I amended- canceled- and re amended- same thing over and over.  The amendment is supposed to start with a 0$ amount but mine starts (and ends) with $1394 every time.  The amendment is showing I took an itemized deduction "originally" that is $3635 less than what I actually took- causing me to receive a larger refund.  I don't know why this is happening.  If it is legitimate- awesome!  If it's not- I don't want to get audited!!

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Well, you want to make sure you start with the amounts based upon the return your filed.  You don't want to start off with a number not on your originally filed return.

You should make the changes as I mentioned above before starting the amended return so the original return numbers match what was originally filed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jennifer1974 , I had the same problem (incorrect numbers for itemized deductions in column A of Form 1040-X). The TurboTax support line was helpful--in terms of validating that this was in fact a software bug. I FOUND A WORKAROUND, as follows:

After "Save As" and "amend", Form 1040-X in TurboTax does not allow me to select "Override" for the incorrect entry in Column A, but it allows me to paste in the correct number from the original 1040. I had to do this in 3 places: line 2 col. A, line 6 col. A, and "Original 2019 Return Payments Smart Worksheet" col. B. The program then adjusted columns B & C to be the correct values (as I calculated by hand), and correctly produced the remaining forms for the amended filing (federal and state).

Manage cookies