turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1/2 of our Stimulus has been taken

My husband said that maybe where my loans are defaulted, and have been sent to a 3rd party collection agency, that there's some kind of loophole where they can still garnish half of it . Original poster said their loans were defaulted also, so maybe that's the case? Otherwise why else would it be garnished? Neither of us have any other children or anything that would pertain to back child support. I don't understand it!

@NCperson 

You've said that same thing already, elsewhere, and yet; mine and a LOT of other individuals stimulus was halved; who, like us, don't have any other children that "child support" could be owed on. This is a stated issue on Reddit as well, and it's happened to at least 5 different couples on these forums. There's nothing constructive to be added by you continuing to state that haughtily, as I've noticed a lot of your replies tend to be. Whatever the reason, half WAS deducted. While I assume it'll get straightened out eventually, objective fact - our deposit today arrived and was indeed $1450 - trumps "stated policy" by the IRS. 

@tdc_18 

Curious; did you or your husband file an injured spouse form, because of the student loans? Several of us are beginning to think that they may be sending a check for all individuals who filed an 8379, by policy or otherwise. That's pure guessing, of course, but so far everyone else seems to have also filed one who has had this happen. 

@tdc_18 @NCperson 

Just got off the phone with an IRS representative; a real agent, not a "tax season" temp (using the collection dept #). She spent nearly 10 minutes researching and...was stumped. Seriously. She could see that only a $1450 payment was sent, and had absolutely no idea why. Her ONLY hypothesis was that for whatever reason, both payments would be sent separately, and to wait and see what the letter we'll receive from the IRS said. She genuinely had no idea, and was apologetic that she couldn't be of any further help. They still don't have access to the stimulus system itself, so she can't see a specific reason, but whatever it is, it's something the computer system did automatically. I'll update when the letter arrives. 

@Patrick73 -- I have now come to find out that the letter coming form the IRS within 15 days after the stimulus is paid is worthless!

you can google it IRS NOTICE NUMBER 1444

this is the same letter i received. 

Sample-IRS-Notice-1444.jpeg

@NCperson 

Thanks for the pic ... it is totally worthless and a bit self serving by the pres in my opinion.  

Yes! Since my loans are in default, we did an injured spouse form last year and this year as well! A family friend of ours said their deposit was only exactly half of their anticipated amount as well and they received it 2 weeks ago when the first batch of checks we're released. And today they got the rest of it! So I wonder, for whatever reason, if maybe we'll receive our other half in a week or 2 as well? I don't know. It's all very confusing and frustrating lol. But that makes sense about the paper check. Maybe we'll get ours in the mail! I definitely hope so! 

@Patrick73 

Oh wow! That's crazy! I bet Its some kind of system glitch? Who knows but I'm glad you actually got thru to someone! Thanks for letting us know what they said! 

@tdc_18 

That's actually really good news; that was the IRS agents best guess also, that for whatever reason both spouses payments would be issued separately. So hopefully that proves true for everyone. 🙂 Thanks for posting that!

@Patrick73 

Yes it is really good news! I hope everyone gets what they were expecting. I am thankful for what we received but when you make plans for a certain amount and don't get that full amount, you have to re route everything and it's just stressful lol. Thanks for the feed back! I'll come back and post if we get another deposit or check! 

@tdc_18 

Just got an email, and checked my account...and a second deposit for $1450 was just deposited. So we got the entire $2900, it just - as the IRS agent stated - came split into 2 deposits on consecutive evenings. Here's hoping the same happened to you!

@Patrick73 

Oh wow that's good news! We haven't gotten anything else yet. I

Maybe we will tomorrow? Or in another week? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies