Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I need to mail form 8453. Box is checked for form 8949. Do I print and attach from 8949? It did not print or clarify in instructions for mailing form 8453.

as i said, only mail detail about the line with code M.
Did you summarize with only one transaction ?  that's what it sounds like. You can go back and just enter that one manually, eliminating code M.

I need to mail form 8453. Box is checked for form 8949. Do I print and attach from 8949? It did not print or clarify in instructions for mailing form 8453.

You're right, the non-reported Box B transaction was only one line but I inserted it when I was inserting all the other ones (summarized as well, but of type A and D) and I might have picked the "Summarize" option by mistake. I already filed to the IRS so I'll have to send the Form 8453 unluckily. I just wanted to be sure that I don't need to send the hundreds of pages of the 1099-B for all the other transactions, thank you for confirming it.

OK . IRS has form 8949 available in fillable PDF format which you can use to itemize your transaction. Just fill in your name and SS number.
MH2
Returning Member

If the IRS receives copies of all 1099(B) forms, then why do we still have to mail these forms to them along with Form 8949. I chose to enter a summary of all transactions (i.e. cost basis and proceeds) instead of entering each sale (basically, copied what was on the consolidated 1099B form). Upon completion, I was still reminded to send Form 8453 along with Form 8949 and 1099B to the IRS. Again, isn't this redundant work if the IRS already receives all 1099 forms?

@MH you can summarize all the transactions and still not need to send a form 8453 afterwards, but this is only valid for transactions that are listed as already reported to the IRS in your 1099-B. If any of those transactions is of type “not reported”, you need to detail them in form 8949 otherwise you will have to send the 1099-B’s with form 8453.

@MH  some tax preparers here have posted in agreement with your argument.
However, that's not what the IRS instructions say, nor is it what the TurboTax instructions in the pop-up box say.
If you were right, hardly anyone would ever Import from a Turbotax Financial Partner. Probably 95 percent of reported sales are in category A or D and on a form that is also supplied to the IRS.

PS, for category A or D it is the adjusted sales that have to be itemized.
Turbotax default action  takes the easy way out and marks the whole pile "M" (mail it in), putting you in an inconvenient position..
LadyGoGo

The 1099-B worksheet tells me I need form 8453, but TurboTax does not generate this form for me.  I found the blank form but it was not autofilled with my taxpayer id info, I was not able to enter it, and further, I was not able to print it out blank. 

I ended up needing to go to the IRS site to print out a blank form, but I think TurboTax should generate and print out this form for me, noting that I need to attach my 1099B and to mail it in even though I am otherwise e-filing.

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

I understand what you said happened but below is what TurboTax does so therefore there must be some type of information not translating properly.  However, you solution works for you.

Yes, the 8453 is automatically generated by Turbo Tax and is sent after the return has been e-filed. In answer to your question about the 8949, if this is a form in your return, then it did get e-filed with the remainder of the return.

Yes, you do need to mail your supporting statements, such as your brokerage statements (Form 1099B) and Form 8453, but you don't need to include Form 8949 since TurboTax filed this form electronically with your tax return. You can include it for reference purposes, if you like.

@LadyGoGo

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ace01
Returning Member

Is there a way to amend and do it electronically?  Do I need to fill out a 8949? 

This is first time that I have ever had this come up. 

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

If you reported any type of Investment Sales, TurboTax prepares Form 8949 for you.

If you choose to Summarize your sales transactions (instead of reporting each individual transaction), you may need to mail a copy of your Form 1099 with a copy of the Form 8949 that TurboTax prepared, and a cover sheet, Form 8453 (but not in all cases).

TurboTax will tell you if you need to mail anything.  You don't need to Amend if you used the Summary method, but yes, Amended Returns can be Efiled.

Here's more info on Mailing Form 8949 for Summary Totals.

@ace01 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies