Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jsleeper
Returning Member

Problem importing 2022 return into 2023 return

I called the TurboTax help number and talked to a nice lady for 30 minutes and she was unable to help me.  I know I'm not the only person who has this (relatively simple?) problem.  I really would appreciate some help.  I have the desktop versions of both 2022 and 2023 in my computer, but I cannot transfer 2022 return into 2023 return, none of the instructions here (which I note are dated several months ago) are helpful.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

When you start a New Tax Return for 2023 are you presented with a list of 2022 tax returns for transfer to the 2023 return?

If not, you need to find out where the 2022 tax data file is being stored.  The 2022 tax data file will have a file extension of .tax2022 and is stored, by default, in the TurboTax folder within the Documents directory.  If there are no 2022 tax data files in the TurboTax folder then the 2023 software cannot present the 2022 returns for transfer to the 2023 tax return.

You will have to search all of your local hard drives, any removable drives, any network drives and any cloud storage areas for the 2022 tax data file.

jsleeper
Returning Member

Thanks for prompt response.  Accompanied by Lashawn, the nice lady at the Turbo-Tax number, who looked at my screen while we did this, we looked at the whole 2022 file, which is located on my C: drive right next to the 2023 program.  We searched for *.tax2022 files, any *.tax files.  Nothing.   When you click on the 2022 file, it just opens up more interior files.  Nothing imports.  I keep thinking we are missing something simple here.

The 2022 tax data file will not be located in the 2022 program directory.  It will be in your Documents directory in the TurboTax folder, by default.

If not there then you need to search the entire C:\ drive not just one directory.  Unless I am misunderstanding where you searched.

The 2022 tax data will be similar to this - 2022 Doe J Form 1040 Individual Tax Return.tax2022

jsleeper
Returning Member

Thanks for your response.  I searched the entire C drive.  No luck.   The Turbo-Tax agent on the phone asked me if the same computer was used for doing the 2022 return.  It was not.  I used a different computer, then transferred the 2022 TurboTax files to this one.  Maybe that is the cause of the problem  Not sure what to do now.  Maybe call TurboTax again.

What files did you copy to the new computer?  Just the program files?  Do you still have the old computer or any backups?  If you still have access to the old computer Here's an idea.  Do you still have 2022 installed?  Try opening 2022 program and see if you can get your 2022 return to show up in it.  Go to FILE -  OPEN.  See if it is the right one.  Then save it again with a name and place you can find.  Go to File - Save As.  The copy that .tax2022 file to the new computer using a usb flash drive and paste it into your Documents.  

Or you can try Transferring from the pdf file if you have one.  But a pdf transfer is very limited.  

jsleeper
Returning Member

Search for *.tax2022 file on old computer and put it on a flash.  Good idea, I'll try it.  Have to set it up again, etc.  Later.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies