Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

temtem

Previous employer hasn't and won't send my W-2, what should I do?

I'm filing as single with 0 dependents this year, or at least trying to. I worked at two places last year (left the last one, a mainstream gas station chain in upstate NY, in February 2024), and got one of my W-2s but not the other. I talked to my old boss in February and asked where it was, to which he said he sent it in the mail and it would be at my place shortly. But it never arrived and it's tax day, so after checking every post office in the area and emailing corporate I called district today (who's notoriously cranky). And she not only told me corporate sends the W-2s NOT my boss, but she tried reprimanding me for not updating the address even though it's been the same since I applied for the job and said she would call me at noon today to get the address and send the W-2 in the mail. It's 1:30, she has in fact not called back and based on other conversations I've had with her I don't think she's going to do jack. So what do I do? I need to file, and I don't have the almost $100 it costs to get one from the SSA. Plus I've been recording my interactions with them since December because of the mistreatment there and have the call with her today recorded so I can try taking legal action, but should I?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Previous employer hasn't and won't send my W-2, what should I do?

It depends. You have a few options you can choose.

1. You can file a return without that income and then when you receive it you can amend it.  
  2. File and extension in hopes you will have it before October 15, 2024. 
  3. If you have your final pay stub, you can file using IRS Form 4852. 

Yes, you are allowed to file for an extension by using the Extension to File IRS website. You can also file and extension with TurboTax by clicking the link below.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies