Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lungie

Please tell me how to cancel an amended tax file.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies
JulieH1

If you started amending your federal return by accident and would like to cancel the amendment, carefully follow this process to correctly "unamend" your federal return:

1. Open your return in TurboTax Online. (To do this, sign in to TurboTax and select the Take me to my return button.)
  2. Select Review on the left side of your screen and keep going until you reach the You did it! Your taxes are amended.
  3. In the left menu, select Federal Taxes  > Other Tax Situations > scroll down to Other Tax Forms > then select Startor Revisit next to Amend a Return.
  4. Select Continue on the following screen (We'll help you amend) and then answer No, I don't need to amend to the question Have you already filed this return? Select Continue.
  5. Select Cancel next to Nevermind, I don't need to amend.

The best way to "unamend" your state return is to go through your state return from the beginning and keep your eyes peeled for amend-related screens or questions.

The amend question usually appears right at the beginning or towards the end of the state interview (never in the middle).

Correct any entries that have to do with an amended return, e.g.:

• Answer No when asked if you want to amend;
  • Clear any amend-related checkboxes;
  • Delete entries in the tax year field.
  • Note: In a few state programs, you actually have to answer Yes to the amend question so you can revisit the screens that contain the information you want to delete.

If you still can't get rid of your state amendment form, try deleting your state return and starting over.

If you mean you already sent in an amended return and want to cancel it, you, unfortunately, cannot cancel an amended tax return once it has been mailed to the IRS.  However, you can amend an amendment by filling out another Form 1040X once the original amended return has been processed.

You can check on the status of your amended tax return by using "Where's my amended return?" on the IRS website.

But what if I already filed the amendment?

@John-Traynor You posted to a thread that asked if the user could cancel the preparation of an amended return.  Of course it is possible to stop amending if you are still working on it and have not sent it to the IRS.  If you actually filed an amended return then no you cannot cancel it.  The IRS has it and you just have to wait for it to be processed.  Once you file it, there is no getting it back.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
cecker

If you already filed do you have to wait 16 weeks for your refund? Or will I have to file again after the 16 weeks and wait another 3 weeks for the refund?

cecker

belldenise1986
Returning Member

if I already  fill my kids an it reject an I amended what do the mean can somebody  still file  them

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

If you Amended your Return, this return and its information are being transmitted to the IRS.  For more details about Amending a return, please see the Help Article here.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Flythemoney1
Returning Member

How do cancel an armed on taxes cause I didn't needed any changes 

MayaD
Expert Alumni

To cancel the amendment:

1. Open your return if it isn't already open.
  2. In the left menu select Cancel Amend.
  3. Select Yes, I want to cancel my amended return and Continue.

I did this while it was still pending and I was able to cancel it but when I check again, it was already accepted 😫 I’m so confused now... so did I cancelled it or not?  I’m freaking out! 

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

If this 1040X was electronically filed and transmitted and accepted, there is no way to cancel it.  Just wait until all of the dust settles to determine what you need to do to correct the issues.

Okay. Thank you so much. 

Hey I did an amended return back in march but it hasn't been processed yet. I finally talked to IRS and my second stimulus was adjusted but my third stimulus is on hold becuz of the amended return. What should I do

You cannot "do" anything to speed up the processing of your amended return.   It is taking the IRS about six months or even longer to process amended returns.    If you do not get the 3rd stimulus in 2021 you will be able to reconcile it on your 2021 return next year, just like lots of people have had to do with the 1st and/or 2nd stimulus payments by using the recovery rebate credit on 2020 returns.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies