Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

afshar89

Please help! My tax return is too high and I don't want to be audited.

Hi,

My 1040 form must have some mistake on it somewhere but I can't figure out exactly where, and as a result, my Federal and State returns are far too large. I want to amend or fix it somehow before the IRS gets involved and I get audited, which will inevitably happen.

I spoke with a representative from TurboTax today after being redirected from TaxAudit (I had left them a message and they called me back). She was unable to help me, but sent me some documents, which basically say that I must wait until March 26th to make any amendments, but at the same time, after completing my eFiling, TurboTax said that most people receive their returns via direct deposit (the option I selected) within 21 days. March 26th is well beyond 21 days since I filed and I don't know what will happen until then. 

I also purchased MAX protection in the case of an audit so that I have representation and support if I need it, but I am hoping to take care of this before that becomes necessary. I have never been audited and don't want to be blacklisted by the IRS.

Thank you.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

No one in this user forum can see your tax return so we do not know if your refund is too high or what mistake you made--if you made a mistake.   But there is nothing you can do yet.   If your e-file was accepted then you just have to wait until the IRS processes it.    The IRS might find the mistake and fix it for you.   Or you might go under review----that is not the same as being audited, but it will delay processing.

What you do NOT want to do is send in another tax return or send in an amended return while they are still processing your original return, or you will create more confusion and delay.

Tough it out and wait.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Without changing anything, do check your data entry for any typos, especially commas and decimal points. And @xmasbaby0 is indeed correct that the IRS often catches these types of errors, especially relating to W-2, 1099, etc. form mistakes.  In those cases, the IRS will review (not audit) your return and adjust it as necessary.

If you are audited, the IRS will contact you and ask for additional information.

An audit is not the end of the world.

Per the IRS:

Don’t amend for math errors or missing forms. Taxpayers generally don’t need to file an amended return to correct math errors on their original return. The IRS may correct math or clerical errors on a return and may accept it even if the taxpayer forgot to attach certain tax forms or schedules. The IRS will mail a letter to the taxpayer, if necessary, requesting additional information.

Tips for taxpayers who may need to amend their tax return | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies