Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mhamps27
Returning Member

Owe State Taxes

I'm in the military and I have resided in North Carolina in 2023 but I am from Florida. I did put that I have resided in North Carolina in 2023. After my federal tax returns, I still owe around 700 dollars to North Carolina.

I'm still trying to figure out why I owe money to North Carolina and why so much. 

Is there any way I can amend this? 

If anyone can answer this question, that'll be greatly apricated. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Owe State Taxes

Since you are active military, in the My Info section of the online editions or in the Personal Info section of the desktop editions you should have selected Florida as your resident state.  When asked if you lived in any other state or made money in any other state you must answer NO to each question.

Go back to that section of the program you are using and change your answers.  You do not have North Carolina income if your only income is your military pay.

mhamps27
Returning Member

Owe State Taxes

My military income wasn't my only income as I did Door Dash in North Carolina. If I already claimed that i resided in North Carolina and tax returns already received, is there a way for me to dispute the money I owe to North Carolina? I find it hard I owe that amount of money when I didn't even make that much money from Door Dash. 

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Owe State Taxes

Yes, your post indicates you may have included too much income for NC taxation.  Below are the entries to check.

1. First, in "My Info" 
  2. Verify you have indicated your military status (Active duty) and that you were stationed in NC on PCS orders
  3. Verify you have indicated your resident state on 31 Dec was FL and NO, you did not live in any other state
  4. Continue
  5. Still in "My Info"
  6. Scroll down to "Other State Income"
  7. Answer "Yes" you earned income in another state
  8. Select NC from the dropdown list
  9. Continue
  10. In "Wages & Income"
  11. "Edit" the Job/W2 topic and "Edit" the Military W2
  12. Verify the form entries and "Continue"
  13. In the follow on page asking about "Uncommon Situations" select "Active Military Pay"
  14. Continue
  15. Now in the NC state interview
  16. Edit the General/residency information
  17. Verify/select the Non-resident status
  18. Edit the "Income" section
  19. When asked about allocating income only allocate to NC the non-military income earned in NC for each income source
  20. Continue through the NC interview
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies