Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Overpayment on Amended MA Form 1

On my 2020 MA Form 1 I had an overpayment which I applied to my 2021 estimated tax. I then amended the return. The amended tax due (line 32) was lower but TurboTax added the overpayment on line 36 so the overpayment became a liability. The Department of Revenue records show the overpayment as an Other amount due for 2020 and no overpayment applied to 2021.

Why did I lose the overpayment? How does this make sense?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

You did not lose the overpayment ... however once you choose to apply it to the next year's estimates it can usually no longer be refunded on an amended return.  The amount you choose to apply to the next year's taxes if normally not adjusted.  

Thanks. Your reply gave me confidence to call the Dept of Revenue. Two odd things: 1) DOR doesn't show an overpayment credit carried forward until the return is filed and the credit is requested. 2) TurboTax didn't carry the credit forward after the extension. I wouldn't have known it was "lost" except that I estimated too much for the IRS and not enough for MA. That made me investigate what happened.

Thanks again.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies