Solved: Overpaid my 2020 federal tax

maotouzi

Overpaid my 2020 federal tax

hi there,

when i filed my amended tax via turbo tax on april 12th, i entered my direct deposit bank  account information and also put the date of withdrawal as april 14th, 2021. but irs didn't withdraw my tay payment on that day.  the next day, i reviewed my amended tax again and notice the form said for amended 1040x, i need to mail in the paper form together with the check. so , on april 15th, i printed out the 1040x and wrote a check with the amount i owed and sent to IRS.  On april 22nd, my bank account had 2 identical IRS withdrawal of my tax payment, one is from my check and one is from the direct deposit i put on april 12th which i thought it never happened. so now i overpaid my 2020 federal tax, i paid twice the amount i owed. what shall i do now?  i tried to call IRS but no live person picked up the phone, only recorded message.  how can i get the overpayment back or at least apply towards 2021 estimate tax? thanks for your advice! 

JotikaT2

Overpaid my 2020 federal tax

The IRS should refund the excess payment to you, but it may take a while as they are a bit backlogged.

In the meantime, you should periodically check your account using the link below to determine if the IRS has made any adjustments to your account.

View your tax account

JotikaT2

Overpaid my 2020 federal tax

View your tax account

maotouzi

Overpaid my 2020 federal tax

thanks so much for answering my question! i will keep checking my account:)

Geomguy

Overpaid my 2020 federal tax

I just got a tax refund check from State, something I never got before... I called the state who said TurboTax was wrong, TurboTax said I had to pay more than was due.

TurboTax miscalculated so I paid more... my Federal tax is almost twice of last year, I'm guessing TurboTax messed up my Federal tax but the only way to tell is to 1. wait for the Feds to refund the overpayment or 2. file an amended return. (if they did this to me they likely did this to you.)

BTW...  this means my Estimated Payments I must send each quarter are almost TWICE last year!