kris10beiler

Originally, my return was $1000 and I have yet to receive it. I was told to add my 1095, but when I did, I owed $300. If I pay it will I receive my original refund?

I filed my taxes over a month ago and my return was $1000. I was told to add my 1095, but after I amended it, I owed $300. I realize this is the difference I owe, but I am afraid to pay it since I have yet to receive my original refund. Should I wait until I receive my refund or do I need to pay this difference for them to issue it?

CherylW

You're really supposed to wait till you receive your original refund before you pay anything you might owe on your 1040X, but since it's getting close to the deadline and you owe, you'll be penalized after April 18.

Pay it and keep a record of your payment and the date you made it (canceled check, bank statement) with your paperwork.