turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ghhowell

How do I amend a 1099-MISC i already filed electronically with the irs? I reported an incorrect amount to the IRS for an independent contractor that I pay.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Carl
Level 15

How do I amend a 1099-MISC i already filed electronically with the irs? I reported an incorrect amount to the IRS for an independent contractor that I pay.

Once your original filing is accepted (which may not happen before Jan 29th) simply submit a new 1099-MISC with the "CORRECTED" box checked.

If the original filing is rejected by the IRS, then simply make your changes and resubmit and do NOT select the corrected box.

renee0068

I put the wrong name/SS on the 1099!  So I sent in a correct one showing the correct name/SS.  How can I tell the IRS to disregard the other?  I probably have to mail in a correction form.  1099R??
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

If your efiled return was rejected, you can go back into TurboTax and fix the mistake on your 1099-MISC, and then submit the corrected return.

However, if it has been accepted, you need to wait until your original return is processed by the IRS and file an amended return.  If you're getting a refund on the return you originally submitted, you need to wait until that refund check is issued.   

Amended returns have to be filed by mail.

To file an amended return, see the TurboTax article below.  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

TomD8
Level 15

I think OP is the employer, not the employee.
**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies