Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Old Computer died in the middle of doing this year's taxes, need to reinstall TurboTax desktop on new computer

I was in the middle of doing this year's taxes when my old computer bricked and is now unusable. I believe I have a usable backup of the in progress tax file, but I'll need to reinstall TurboTax desktop in order to finish and file this year's taxes. I do have the install CD and license key which was previously activated on the old computer. What do I need to do to reinstall and activate on the new computer?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Old Computer died in the middle of doing this year's taxes, need to reinstall TurboTax desktop on new computer

Every computer has a unique combination of components, settings, programs, services, and users. This means TurboTax can install and run flawlessly on one computer, but another computer's configuration can cause conflicts when installing, launching, or running TurboTax.

This article troubleshoots the more common causes of installation failures or errors when running TurboTax.

Troubleshoot installation and running TurboTax for Windows

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Install it same way you did it originally.  Then copy your return ending in .tax2023 to the new computer.  Don't open it from the backup.  

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to File-New Tax Return).

Then go to FILE -Open and find your return.

See this article on how to move your tax return to another computer…….

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/how-do-i-move-my-tax-data-file-to-another-compu...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies