Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I just got a K-1 (form 1065) but have already filed my taxes for 2016. The K-1 shows only 0s in all fields. Do I still need to amend my returns for this?

I have gone over the amend process in Turbo Tax and it comes back with no change in my taxes or reported income - since the K-1 is all 0s. But of course it does add the K-1 related sheets to the package. Do I need to file an amendment even it it does not change anything about my tax situation?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I just got a K-1 (form 1065) but have already filed my taxes for 2016. The K-1 shows only 0s in all fields. Do I still need to amend my returns for this?

If your K-1 has all zeros, then there is no need to amend your tax return.  No tax impact.  Just keep the K-1 with your other tax documents in case there is ever a question.

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.

Thank you, that was my thought as well. I just don't want it to get flagged at the IRS because they will get a copy of the schedule as well. The only thing different on the amended version of the return would be that the name of the PTP is listed, no additional income, dividends, or losses. So there is no real tax impact.

What the IRS does is "matches" what they receive to what you report.  If there is nothing to match you will be fine.

Ok, thank you again for clarifying. Just one more follow-up. I did prepare an amendment in Turbo Tax, just to check what is different. I entered all the information from my K-1 for this. On the Fed side, I get an entry on my 1040 line 17 with a 0 (original was blank), plus I do get Schedule E attached which comes out to a 0 on line 41 (schedule E was not in my original filing). Should I file an amendment so that Schedule E is included? The state side is clearer, there the additional pages/schedule are clearly marked "for your records".

Yes by including information from a Schedule K-1 a Schedule E will be included in your 1040.  There is generally no need to include a schedule if there is no information that impact your taxable income.  In your particular case, there is no need to amend to include a blank Schedule E.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies