turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will I get audited because I did not pay myself a salary in first year of startup?

Formed a new startup company last year in DE, but operating in CA as foreign entity. The "Company" issued me 7,500,000 shares of restricted stock with par value of $0.0001 at time of incorporating in return for $750 (investment capital). A total of 10,000,000  shares are available for issue. There are no employees except myself (owner). I did not pay myself any salary and the company made zero dollars. However, I did continue to develop my idea which is a new website. I have some minor startup costs associated with the usual incorporating fees and such.

Using TT Business, I filled out the information to file business taxes and it states: A major audit risk for corporations is salaries not being paid to officers of the corporation.

Should I have paid myself a nominal salary (such as $100 for the entire year) no matter what? Even if I didn't want to pay myself anything because the company made no money? I don't want to get audited for not paying myself.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChelsiE2

Will I get audited because I did not pay myself a salary in first year of startup?

Not paying yourself a salary is only an issue if you are compensated in another way.  For example, if you do the "work" for the company and take a distribution or receive dividends but do not take a salary, the IRS can reclassify these amounts as wages and make you pay the applicable taxes on them.

However, if you have zero income, then no.  You are not at risk of being audited for not paying yourself a salary.  

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ChelsiE2

Not paying yourself a salary is only an issue if you are compensated in another way.  For example, if you do the "work" for the company and take a distribution or receive dividends but do not take a salary, the IRS can reclassify these amounts as wages and make you pay the applicable taxes on them.

However, if you have zero income, then no.  You are not at risk of being audited for not paying yourself a salary.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies