turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to include my state refund for 2015 as my 2016 income on my state return or only on federal return?

I am filing NY State return as a part-time resident (I moved out to NJ on April 30, 2016). I received a refund from NY state for my 2015 tax return. This refund is showing as my Federal Income for 2016. Do I have to put it again as my NY State Resident income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Do I have to include my state refund for 2015 as my 2016 income on my state return or only on federal return?

No, you don't have to report it on NY state return, it is only reported on federal tax return as it may be considered taxable income for federal tax purposes.

spl1104
Returning Member

I have a federal retirement income which is not taxed but somehow it is showing up on my nys tax return as income obviously I am doing something wrong on my fed, return (putting the income where I shouldnt on the Fed return. Help!

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Be sure you select CSA if it is a Civil Service Retirement.

1. Sign in to your account and open or continue your return.
  2. Search for 1099-R and select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. On the Your 1099-R screen, select Yes and then Continue. (If you land on the Your 1099-R Entries screen instead, select Add Another 1099-R)
  4. At the import screen, select I'll type it in myself and then Continue.
  5. Select the CSA-1099-R option (verify the right spouse is selected, if applicable) and Continue to enter the information from your CSA 1099-R.

If it wasn't entered correctly, you'll need to delete the original and re-enter it. 

CLICK HERE for how to enter a CSA 1099-R

@spl1104

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies