Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Need to change from "independent" to "dependent" and "someone can claim me" but I don't know how.

I filed for independent on my taxes forgetting that I am going to be claimed on my father's taxes. I don't know how to change this and I need to change it quickly. I've looked at other threads about a Personal Information tab but I can't find that and I've looked on my mobile and on my computer and still can't find anything close to a Personal Information tab. How can I fix this?
1 Reply
Level 15

Need to change from "independent" to "dependent" and "someone can claim me" but I don't know how.

Did you already file it?  If you filed you have to wait to see if it is Accepted or Rejected,  If you haven't filed yet or it rejects you can fix it and resend it.  

If you filed and it gets Accepted do NOT change it yet.  You have to wait for it to fully process and you get the first refund.  Then you can mail in an Amended return to fix it.  The amended return won't be ready until late February.  If your return does get accepted before your father's return then he will have to mail his return this year.

When you have your return open on the screen there is a Personal Info tab.  Click Edit by your name and scroll down to #3.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings