Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

yragkrub

Need info on IRS Form 1099-C and IRS form 982

I have turbo tax home & business edition. I can't find any section that covers IRS form 1099-C and IRS form 982. I have three 1099-C forms, one for $3,654.35, another for $$3,040.72 and the last for $2,792.56. I also have IRS form 982. I got my debt cancelled because I wasn't able to make the monthly credit card payments.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Need info on IRS Form 1099-C and IRS form 982

To enter your Forms 1099-C, type 1099-c cancellation debt in the search bar and then "Jump to". Enter each 1099 seaprately. 

Form 982 is to declare insolvency.

You have to determine up to what point you were insolvent.  The worksheet can be found on page six of the following document:  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4681.pdf (It is a PDF file).  This worksheet is manual, and usually requires some investigation.  Look at the discharge date on the 1099C and the amount of debt that was cancelled.  The worksheet is based on the amount of attributes and debts you had on that date.  You will need to see what your bank account, credit card debts, car debt, house debt, etc. were on that date (unpaid medical expenses, etc.)  If your llabilities are greater than your assets, (do not include the debt amount canceled), you are insolvent.  That is the number you will put in the 982 form under insolvency and goes with your return.  If your insolvency is greater than your canceled debt, you have no canceled debt will not be taxable.  I recommend mailing in the return to include both form 982 and the worksheet.

If your canceled debt is more that your insolvency, that is claimed as other income (line 21).  In TurboTax you will see this as Miscellaneous Income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies