Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

criege698

My wife changed her last name after our taxes were filed before we received our refund, I am showing on the IRS refund site it's been delayed and would like to know why

We have been married 3 years due to some things that happened in our personal life she recently changed her last name, can that affect my return processing.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

My wife changed her last name after our taxes were filed before we received our refund, I am showing on the IRS refund site it's been delayed and would like to know why

No. I do not believe that would effect processing. They use the first four letters of your last name and the last four digits of your ssn as an identity confirmation for e-file.

Once your return is filed, TurboTax has no control over the processing of your return or the release of your refund.

Here are a couple FAQs to track your refund:
When will I get my federal tax refund?
How do I track my state refund?
Why does Where's My Refund say "approved" but TurboTax still says "accepted"?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Since your return wasn’t rejected the name change is probably not an issue. 

criege698

I'd love some actual information on why my refund has been delayed for 2 months now, I filed on February 5th and cannot contact the IRS and nobody at TurboTax seems to be able to even give an inkling of any real information. I've used turbotax for 4 years now and have never had any issues getting help before. 

@criege698 wrote:

I'd love some actual information on why my refund has been delayed for 2 months now, I filed on February 5th and cannot contact the IRS and nobody at TurboTax seems to be able to even give an inkling of any real information. I've used turbotax for 4 years now and have never had any issues getting help before. 

Once a tax return has been Accepted by the IRS or a State, TurboTax receives no further information concerning the tax return or the status of any tax refund.

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 3 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies