Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rachjc29

My return was accepted on 1/29, as of today, 2/14 my tax transcript on the irs site states “ Your 2023 Tax Return Is Not Processed”. Why would it say this?

Single file, no children or EITC
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

24 Replies

My return was accepted on 1/29, as of today, 2/14 my tax transcript on the irs site states “ Your 2023 Tax Return Is Not Processed”. Why would it say this?

There will not be a tax return transcript until the IRS finishes processing the tax return.

If accepted by the IRS use the federal tax refund website to check the refund status - https://www.irs.gov/refunds

After the tax return has been Accepted by the IRS (meaning only that they received the return) it will be in the Processing mode until the tax refund has been Approved and then an Issue Date will be available on the IRS website.
See this IRS website for federal tax refund FAQ's - https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

To check your e-file status, sign in to TurboTax, and go to Tax Home (if you're not already there). If you've submitted your return, you'll see a pending, rejected, or accepted status. As @DoninGA stated, you won't find a transcript for an unprocessed return.

If you used TurboTax Desktop, follow these steps to check your e-file status:

1. Open the File menu.
  2. Select Check E-file status.
  3. Or, go to the File tab and select the Check E-file Status header.

See this TurboTax help article for more information.

The IRS issues most refunds in fewer than 21 days for taxpayers who file electronically and choose direct deposit. However, some returns have errors or need more review and may take longer to process. The IRS works hard to get refunds to taxpayers quickly, but taxpayers shouldn't rely on getting a refund by a certain date.

Things that can delay a refund:

The IRS will contact taxpayers by mail if it needs more information to process their return.

The fastest way to get a tax refund is by filing electronically and choosing direct deposit.

Your e-file status is different from your refund status. If you want to track your refund, go to Where's My Refund.

IRS representatives on the phone and at Taxpayer Assistance Centers can only research the status of a refund if:

• It's been 21 days or more since the taxpayer filed the return electronically.
  • It's been six weeks or more since the taxpayer mailed the return.
  • The Where's My Refund? tool tells the taxpayer to contact the IRS.

See this IRS webpage for more information.

@rachjc29 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Same boat here.  None of the answers given help.  These are all facts we know already.  I have the irs2go app,  my irs login and my TurboTax info.  All shows accepted but still not processed.  IRS can't tell me anything until Tuesday when it is past the 21 days.  I can only guess they are behind.......

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Yes, I can only advise patience.  The IRS is going to work at their own pace.

The IRS has stated that the typical time to process a tax return is 21 days.  

• However, if you mailed your return and expect a refund, it could take four weeks or more to process your return. 
  • In addition some tax returns take longer to process than others for many reasons, including when a return:
    • Contains errors or is incomplete
    • Needs further review in general
    • Is affected by identity theft or fraud
    • Was referred to the IRS by the bank due to suspicious activity
    • Includes a claim filed for an Earned Income Tax Credit or an Additional Child Tax Credit. See Q&A below.
    • Includes a Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation, which could take up to 14 weeks to process
    • And I'm sure a host of other issues

I know that @alphawolfsc has the resources to track the refund, but this may help others.

The only reliable way is to get information on your refund is to get the information from the the IRS.

Be sure that your return has been Accepted

• It should not show Pending, or Rejected
  • The return will also have to be processed.
  • Therefore there may be a time delay between Accepted and issuing the refund.

You will need:

• Social Security Number.
  • Tax return year.
  • Hilling Status.
  • Exact refund amount

Please click here to enter your information. Check Your Refund .

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Same for me too. I did not an update to my transcripts but it still also shows no return filed. I'm patiently waiting for tonight to check at 1am any update lol. I am cycle 01 which is on Friday. Hope I have a better update.

Mine was accepted on the 24th and same... Same status as you. 

I have seen others that filed way after me and already got theirs. I mean if there is a problem, then just say it. I don't need 5 hypothetical scenarios on why. I filed early so I could get it back early. Now I watch everyone else get theirs back after filing later.  I don't fall into those categories so I don't understand why mine is the 1 out of the 10. I expect a return in the time frame. So if you don't want people to count on the return to process then stop telling people that. Because someone will always fall onto the category of the ones that didn't get the refund in the time estimated. 

I filed much later than you, 2/10 - jointly.  I receive the credits that subject me to the PATH hold until mid Feb anyways - haven't gotten the PATH message on WMR yet though.   Transcript this morning says the same as yours, however WMR updated to "your return is still being processed.  A refund date will be provided when available."  Still have tax topic 152.  On my IRS account it's not notifying of any need to verify.  I always wonder though, if you file jointly will you need to have an IRS account for both spouses to check the need for any verification needed?

Bumping this for an answer. Good Question

I hate how this happens every year. You would think i was use to this by now.. NOPEEEE because I still deal with what you deal with and now this issue. It is almost always something with the IRS. I do get the credits but shoots by now they should know he my child and the credits same every year. Oh well. I will check every night after midnight.. lol.. Sure ill make myself go crazy but i am anyway

I really don't think it matters. Most likely both accounts get the same information. But I guess what would factor in is what cycle each of you are provided either weekly or daily. I guess checking both wouldn't hurt. 

I am an 01 cycle. ( i believe is Fridays)

Try checking your transcript by login into your irs. Select “other” for reason for transcript then search. Box 2 & 3 will have 2023 transcript and at the end will show return date 

Mine says 2-22

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies