Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CovertX44

My Refund was significantly less than it should’ve been. I want answers. I will get advice from a lawyer.

Why did I receive almost $1000 less on my Federal tax return? The charges were miss leading and took way more than was suppose to. I would like my money back. I been using Turbo tax for years, but will never use them again. I will speak to a lawyer regarding this issue. Can someone please provide answers. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My Refund was significantly less than it should’ve been. I want answers. I will get advice from a lawyer.

First ... did the IRS send the entire expected refund ?   If they did not then the IRS will mail you a letter of explanation in a couple of weeks.

If they did then did you use the refund processing service ?  If you did then you need to contact them to see why the refund was less than expected.   Did you have an advance on the refund that needed to be paid back for that same bank or another processing bank ?  

If you requested to have the TurboTax account fees deducted from your federal tax refund, the IRS will send the refund to a third party processor to have the fees and the service charge deducted. The third party processor will deduct the TurboTax fees plus the service charge and then attempt to direct deposit the remaining refund balance into the account that you entered on your tax return.

For the status of your tax refund you will need to contact the third party processor, Santa Barbara Tax Product Group, using their website - 
https://www.sbtpg.com/

Tax Products Group Contact Information - 
https://help.sbtpg.com/hc/en-us/articles/230084587-Contact-Information
On this page you can also scroll down and click on Submit a request

Or 
https://taxpayer.sbtpg.com/

Call 1-877-908-7228

Remember, the IRS and state pay refunds independently.  Are you thinking of your overall total?  Maybe one or the other agency hasn't made a payment yet.

If the IRS reduces your refund, they will send a letter explaining why, but this takes 3-4 more weeks after the refund is paid, you may need to wait for their explanation. They may have disagreed with your income or some of your deductions.  I assume that state tax agencies send similar letters if they make adjustments.

You can check your online account with the IRS to see what amount they actually paid, you can look up the same information for your state tax refund.

If you used refund transfer, then SBT bank will deduct the agreed fees and send you the rest, whatever it is.  If the IRS reduced the original refund, you will get less from SBT, but that is because of the IRS, not SBT or Turbotax. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies