turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sw2759

Are there Direct deposit limits? If a return is over 10,000. Do they stop your direct deposit and nail a paper check?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

29 Replies

Are there Direct deposit limits? If a return is over 10,000. Do they stop your direct deposit and nail a paper check?

I assume you mean the refund is more than $10,000. If so, the answer is probably Yes, the IRS will most likely convert the refund to a paper check. The IRS doesn't officially publish the threshold, but I've seen refunds less that $10,000 converted to check. The check typically takes only about another week to ten days. You can monitor what's happening by going to Where's My Refund at irs.gov. That system won't tell you whether the direct-deposit will be converted to a check, but it will tell you if that happens and when to expect the check.

This happened to me 2017. The huge problem is Turbo Tax doesn't warn of this when listing options for refund method otherwise I would have split into two accounts. IRS converted to paper check, I was in process of moving, completed forwarding order with postal service (no worries because I selected direct deposit) now check lost, had to wait 30 days to file claim now another 6 weeks for replacement check. THANKS TURBO TAX FOR INCOMPLETE INFORMATION. Have been a satisfied customer for years and convinced many others to use your program. This year has caused huge financial problem for me.

I had the same problem this year with the direct deposit option offered by Turbo Tax for 2017. I filed my Federal and State return with Turbo Tax. I paid the $21.34 for the direct deposit option, but I never received a direct deposit. I received a paper check from the U.S. Treasury. I called Turbo Tax and they told me I had to check with the IRS for the reason I didn't receive a direct deposit. Isn't that what I paid Turbo Tax for? I didn't pay The U.S. Government for this service, I paid Turbo Tax. I checked the IRS website and the only explanation was "Unable to complete your request for direct deposit". No other information is available. So, Turbo Tax offers this service, they will take my money, but they will not help to find out why the service wasn't fulfilled. If Turbo Tax offers a service to its customers, they should be responsible for any issues with that service. That's what I paid for!  So now I'm out $21.34 for a service I paid for but didn't receive. Turbo Tax will not refund the money for failure to provide the service. So now Turbo Tax has lost a 15 year repeat customer. Very short sighted Turbo Tax.

Yes it is a fact that the IRS will convert to a check if the amount is over $10,000 !! For my 2017 year my refund was $16,910. I put in direct deposit and I received a paper check instead. So there ya go plain and simple answer !!!!! Thank you
kwong243

@imashaffer how long did it take? Mine says mailing date 3/2/2018.

From my understanding if you did your "pay your turbo tax out of your refund" the check gets mailed to SBTG and then they processes it for the turbo tax charge.  In which if you are still over 10K they will then send you another check because they will not do a direct deposit over 10k either.  Mine was sent the 26th and SGTB has yet to receive the refund for processing.
djsorge1

My refund was over 20k and my refund was direct deposited using turbo tax

Strange. Mine was over 20k and it was converted to a paper check.
tamancil

How much longer does it take if they do that? I filed mine on February 6th and it's still saying thet need more time to process it and  tato readx topic 152

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please allow an additional 4 weeks for your check to arrive in the mail.  You can find out more information on the IRS FAQ page.

@tamancil

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

yes mine has been over 10,000 for the last 3 years and its always been directly deposited.

Who was your bank at the time? I wonder if that has something to do with why they may or may not convert. 

Nikoletl

I want to know how to get a refund like that  😎

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

There are three factors that will determine the size of your refund (or what you owe).

1. The total amount of income that you have.
  2. The amount you had withheld from your wages.
  3. Whether you qualify for certain tax credits.

Your income determines the amount of tax you owe.  This not only includes your wages, but also any other type of income you may have had.  A small job that issued a 1099 MISC or NEC can result in significant taxes.  Based on criteria established by the IRS there are tables that determine the amount of tax that you owe.  Double check your income entries and make sure they are correct.

The amount you had withheld generally come from your W-2 income; however, taxes can be withheld from other forms of income.  If the taxes withheld is more than what you owe you will get a refund.  If not, you will owe money.  Again, double check your entries and be sure they are correct.  If you have an excess withheld during the year you will get a larger refund.

You can subtract Tax Credits from the amount of tax you owe.   Here are some common Credits:  

If you look on your tax return FORM 1040 you can check these entries.

• Line 19 Child Tax Credit
  • Line 27 Earned Income Credit
  • Line 28 Additional Tax Child Tax Credit
  • Line 29 American Opportunity Credit (For College)
  • Line 30 Recovery Rebate Credit
  • You also may have had more taxes withheld on your income.

Compare your tax credits to what you had last year.  This is the most likely place for a large amount to be.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies