turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My refund was direct deposited for years, same account no change. The last 2 years I received a paper check. Why? My information is correct, I triple checked.

They direct deposited before. I did check the direct deposit on return, put correct account number, and did not have any other deposits from the IRS this year. No one seems to have an answer as to why the IRS keeps mailing my refund checks.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

My refund was direct deposited for years, same account no change. The last 2 years I received a paper check. Why? My information is correct, I triple checked.

Only the IRS can tell you.    TurboTax receives no information from the IRS after you file your return and the IRS accepts it for processing.  You can call the IRS to ask them.

To  call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Yes, thank you. I was seeing if anyone else experienced similar situation and what ended up being the delimma. Appreciate your response.

Just thinking out loud a bit.   Is this just an ordinary everyday bank account as opposed to a brokerage account?  Brokerages sometimes change up their deposit process.

Yes, everyday ordinary bank account. I toughed it out and called IRS. I was told they got more cautious on direct deposits. Even though both parties are listed on a bank account, the primary account holder has to match the primary tax filer. Must have changed policy 2 years ago when they started mailing mine. 

@jjpando wrote:

Yes, everyday ordinary bank account. I toughed it out and called IRS. I was told they got more cautious on direct deposits. Even though both parties are listed on a bank account, the primary account holder has to match the primary tax filer. Must have changed policy 2 years ago when they started mailing mine. 

Thanks for returning to post the cause of your situation.  That may help others who have a joint account situation with direct deposit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies