Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lombardo46
Returning Member

My Mac crash after I just did my taxes, no App and no tax file

Turbo tax app is gone, want to reload, and lost back up of 2019 tax file
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Did you save it to your hard drive, a flash drive or a cloud location by any chance?   I am assuming you were using the desktop version.  You can search your computer for any files ending with .tax2019?   Type     *.tax2019     into the search bar and see if there is anything found.  You can reinstall the software if you need to or restore your computer to a previous time.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It's always a good idea to make a backup copy of your tax data file, in case your original gets lost or corrupted. Here's how:

1. From the File menu in the upper-left corner of TurboTax, choose Save As (Windows) or Save (Mac).
  2. Browse to where you want to save your backup.
    • Tip: If you're saving to a portable device, save it to your computer first to prevent data corruption. Then, after completing Step 4, copy or move the backup file to your device.
  3. In the File name field, enter a name that will distinguish it from the original tax file (for example, add "Backup" or "Copy" to the file name)
  4. Click Save and then close TurboTax.
  5. Restart TurboTax and open the backup copy to make sure it's not corrupted. If you get an error, delete the backup and repeat these steps.

If you make changes to your original tax return file, repeat these steps to ensure your original and backup copies are in-synch.

Related Information:                             

AND save it as a PDF so you have access to a copy even if you don’t have the program still installed and operational :

AND protect the files :

I've used TurboTax for mac for years. This year's product however, crashes consistently. At first I could put up with it, as it just crashed when I tried to download the transactions from my brokerage accounts... However, now I'm currently not able to even open the product. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, followed the help articles on the TurboTax support site to completely remove the product from my mac, which didn't work... And then even waiting on hold an hour to speak with support. Support tells me that it's a known issue, and that they can't send me a new download, since I purchased from amazon, and the fix is to purchase a hard wired ethernet adapter to manually connect my macbook to a wired network. The project just attempts to download updates and then crashes every time. I've even updated my macbook to Big Sur as some articles said that this might help, but it didn't. Don't waste your time...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies