turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

amidan

My federal refund was reduced by $1200. I did receive a letter from the IRS stating I was issued a EIP2. Ln 30 of my 1040 shows $1200. How do I correct and get refund?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

My federal refund was reduced by $1200. I did receive a letter from the IRS stating I was issued a EIP2. Ln 30 of my 1040 shows $1200. How do I correct and get refund?

It sounds to me like you indicated on your return that you did not receive the $1,200 stimulus payment, but actually did.  Therefore, the IRS reduced the refund showing on your account by $1,200 since you had already receive it.  If you did not receive the $1,200, you have to contact the IRS: Call the IRS:  1-800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dwerkstell
Returning Member

Mine was also reduced by $1200. I understand that this is a Turbo Tax glitch. What do I do now - did Turbo Tax add the $1,200 to my refund and the adjusted amount is correct or am I entitled to the original, $1,200 larger refund?

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

When you reviewed the stimulus payments, there was an opportunity to make the necessary changes to the payments you actually did receive before filing your tax return.  It was under the 'Federal Review' tab.

If the IRS automatically did the adjustments for you, then you should do nothing.  Double check to make sure you actually did receive the stimulus payments you were eligible for. 

1. The CARES Act was signed into law on March 27, 2020, and the first stimulus check, which maxed out at $1,200 per person (with an extra $500 per dependent),
  2. The second stimulus checks for the COVID-19 relief package was set to total $600 per person, with phase outs based on adjusted gross income limits that are similar to the first relief package. Families also get additional $600 payments for each qualifying dependent under age 17.
  3. Check out Get My Payment FAQs and Get My Payment then determine what the IRS has on record for your stimulus payments.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dwerkstell
Returning Member

I see - your telling me that this is my fault for not catching your mistake caused by a glitch in Turbo Tax. I understand the glitch has since been corrected, so you did have a problem. I have used Turbo Tax since it started - over 30 years ago. HR Block - here I come!

What glitch?  I don't think there was any bug for that.  You always had to enter the 2 amounts you actually got to see if you qualify for any more.  If you didn't enter them or entered the wrong amount then yes, Turbo Tax would give it to you again.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies