turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My ex husband filed an amended return to not claim my son [name removed] so I can claim since he lives full time with me and is a student ...do I get the credit now?

My ex husband filed an amended tax return as he was NOT to claim our son who lives full time with me and is a full time student..can I claim him now and resubmit my 2016 return?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
SeanE1

My ex husband filed an amended return to not claim my son [name removed] so I can claim since he lives full time with me and is a student ...do I get the credit now?

As long as your ex-husband filed his amended 2016 tax return unclaiming your son as a dependent, you may paper-file your tax return right now.  Please note that since your husband's original return lists your son's social security number (SSN), any attempt by you or anyone else to efile a tax return using your son's SSN will be rejected.  The reason for this is that the IRS is too busy processing everyone's tax returns and do not get around to processing amended returns until around 8 weeks from now.  The only option you have at this point is to print, sign, date and mail in your tax return.

Thank you very much!  But how do u rwfigurw the deduction on line with turbo tax?  I should get an increase in the return amount from what I currently show or at least I hope..
SeanE1

When you claim your son as your dependent, the IRS gives you a $4,050 exemption for 2016.  This $4,050 reduces your taxable income by $4,050.  So, as an example, let's say you have $40,000 of taxable income that will be taxed, after the $4,050 exemption for your son, you will only have $35,950 of your income subject to taxes.  This means that by claiming your son, you will either owe less in taxes or be getting a larger refund.  It is impossible for me to tell you exactly how it will affect you without me being able to see your numbers, but I can tell you that it is an additional benefit to you.

You are fabulous!  Eased my mind...thank you again so much!  Will print and sign and mail today..
SeanE1

You're very welcome and good luck with everything!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies