perrandytax

My computer crashed, lost 2015 & 16 TurboTax files. Recovered a 2016 file but can't open it. It starts with a ~ Any suggestions on how to recover the data?

How do I open a file that starts with ~

You should be able to open the Tilde ~ file in the same year program.  Did you reinstall the  2016 program?  Then go to File-Open and it should show up in the box to open or you can browse to where it is located.

But After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - NEW TAX RETURN)