Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My 2nd mortgage was sold and the original company went out of business. I did not receive a 1098 and I do not know how much interest I paid. How do I handle this?

I have no way of contacting the original mortgage company and I do not know how much interest I paid.  The new mortgage company did not report any interest or payments from me until they purchased the loan in April.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

My 2nd mortgage was sold and the original company went out of business. I did not receive a 1098 and I do not know how much interest I paid. How do I handle this?

You could use the final statement of 2016, and the new loan agreement from your new mortgage company. 

Take the principal balance of Dec. 31, 2016 from the tax documents the old company sent you in that year and subtract the balance of the loan when the new mortgage took over the loan. This will tell you how my principal you paid before the new company took over the loan. (how much principal you paid to the old company)

Now add up all the payments you made to the old company. 

Subtract the amount of principal you paid to the old company from the total amount of payments you made to them. The result should be the amount of interest you paid them. Add the interest that the new company reports to you and use that as your total interest paid. 

In TurboTax you will report both numbers, what you paid to the new company and what you paid to the old company. You may need to enter a "mock" 1098 using the information from the old mortgage company. Keep a copy of your calculations with your tax file. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies