Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

More on….”claiming dependent by mistake

I need to elaborate…..the son I need to claim is the same one my other son mistakenly claimed. I have two sons, one who is not my dependent and one that is. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Posting to different threads about the same issue makes it confusing for those of us who are trying to help you.   Your posts are scattered and we may or may not see them.   The reply you received earlier still applies---the only way for you to claim your son is to file by mail.  The son who made a mistake on his return has to amend, but waiting for his amended return will not help you to e-file this year.  The only way you can file and claim your dependent son is to file by mail.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Yes it's the same answer as on the other thread.  You have to print and mail your return this year even if the first son amends his return.  Once a ssn has be entered into the IRS system you can't efile it again.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies