Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Misleading Refund Advance Process

I filed taxes w TT unaware of the refund advance option. As I finalized, was given the option for a refund advance. I don't remember reading that I must pass a credit check first. I'm working to rebuild credit score so would have passed on the unneeded inquiry.  I did read that I must open a Credit Karma account to participate. Ok.  I remember something stating pre-qualified and then $1500 refund advance popped up and that my  remaining refund amount would be deposited into this CK account, regular IRS processing time.  Ok.  I passed the identity check and followed next step to open the ck account. The steps led me to believe I was approved and so I awaited the refund advance to post. I received the messages that my tax return was accepted by the IRS. Then nothing.  The ck account shows same message stating that they will notify me when my refund is deposited. This morning, looking for clarity and any info, I logged back into TT and there now is a message that my advance has not been approved and that my tax refund will be deposited into this ck account.  ?????  I don't need this ck account or even wanted it.  It was pushed upon me. This process makes no sense and is confusing-intentionally misleading.  There are other services avail that offer refund advances and loans w/o credit checks that people can use if they don't pass your credit check.  Your process intentionally binds people to your service and opens-forces a ck account that is not helpful, unwanted and useless.  **Maybe clearly inform people and be upfront that a credit check is needed, run the credit check initially and then proceed w option to open the ck account to receive your refund advance, to use for reg tax refund deposit or option to use your own checking account.   Also correct the grammar error for your following statement. Your tax refund advance has not been approved should be was not approved.   "Has not" indicates that the refund advance is still awaiting approval with possibility of being approved.   

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

You have to apply for the refund advance before submitting your tax return. You can't apply for the Refund Advance after you file your taxes. For information on the Refund Advance, please see the information available here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Exact same scenario for me..I was advised there is no refund advance application on file for me. Obviously, my next question was why is my tax refund being deposited into a credit karma account? I was taken to the CK page to open that account for the advance I applied for to be deposited into..I know what happened I was there lol. Why would I put my money there rather than the checking account I have had for 8 years? The rep then says well..what you applied for was the refund to be up to 5 days sooner..uh ok. long story short My taxes were accepted 2/1..approved 2/3 and the IRS wheres my refund site..along with my IRS tax transcripts say " YOUR REFUND WILL BE DEPOSITED INTO YOUR FINANCIAL INSTITUTION ON 2/8/23 which is in 3 days. So that blows the 5 day early theory..matter of fact i got a pop up today that says " If you elected to have your Turbo Tax fees taken out of your refund you will not be eligible to receive your refund early". I honestly am sitting here in complete amazement as to how in thee hell I ended up here. I can read and comprehend most things..I mean I graduated nursing school with honors. So I gathered up the courage to see what cluster is in my near future if/when I get my refund into this wonky ass checking account:

Credit Karma has not acknowledged my refund was approved 2 days ago.

I have no debit card (7-10 business days) and no option to create a virtual card..that is only available to people who were approved for the advance.

There is a $500 daily withdraw limit.  well if you are lucky enough to have a card you can use to withdraw that $500.

When you deposit money into the account is takes 2-3 business days to become available.

It takes 2-3 business days to transfer money to another account.

This is where I just had to stop reading. I'm sure it gets better. SOOOO.. now I am having a glass of wine having a talk with myself before I call these people and explain to them what we are going to do on 2/8/23..and not go to jail lol..This is a nightmare I can't wake up from  it's insanity. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies