Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Maryland RELIEF act question

I have already filed my tax and already got accepted. Then I found out earlier about the Maryland RELIEF act that says that I am now exempt from federal and state tax for my unemployment. Do I need to file an amendment? and if so what changes should I do if I file an amendment?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I emailed the Comptroller of Maryland on February 15, 2021 regarding this question.  The reply came that you must send an amended return and that they will have the forms on their website "soon."

I am waiting for the TurboTax software to update with this change.  I just finished my taxes after updating TurboTax today and it shows the unemployment income as taxable still.

I am hoping that TurboTax will get with the program soon.

View solution in original post

14 Replies

I emailed the Comptroller of Maryland on February 15, 2021 regarding this question.  The reply came that you must send an amended return and that they will have the forms on their website "soon."

I am waiting for the TurboTax software to update with this change.  I just finished my taxes after updating TurboTax today and it shows the unemployment income as taxable still.

I am hoping that TurboTax will get with the program soon.

Has Turbo tax updated to file amended return for the Maryland unemployment tax relief act? If not when will it be updated.

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

Turbo Tax anticipates that form 1040-X will be available within the program towards the end of March. You may check back periodically.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

any updates on this?? 

@EbonyA 

Not sure if Turbo Tax has the updated form or not. I don’t know how to tell. Does anyone know if the forms have been updated to file for the unemployment relief in state of Maryland?

Hey, 

I received an email from turbotax a while back and they said there's no need to do anything right now as the government will do something so we don't need to amend our tax anymore but will let us know if there are any changes or anything we need to do.

The Federal return you don’t need to do nothing but state you will have to file an amended tax return.

even though i haven't even filed neither of those? I thought if I filed state already, I needed to file amended tax return to get the difference back?

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

TurboTax calculations have not been updated for Maryland. If you haven’t filed your return, you can either:

• Wait for TurboTax to be updated along with your state, or
  • File your return now and potentially amend later if they do not follow the federal guidelines.

See update here: states' unemployment exclusion

@sungsc

thank you

I been trying to file the federal first and wait on email from turbotax but I am not seeing any options available on my end.

I looked thoroughly to find "Here are your filing options" but that is nowhere to be found

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

If you want to file federal first, you will need to delete the state return.  I am attaching a TurboTax discussion for your reference:  File federal first

@sungsc

The state taxes you will have to file amended return f you already filed. That’s why I’m waiting for Turbo Tax to update the forms. The federal return the IRS is doing the adjustment automatically on their end.

Any idea when Turbo Tax will have updated State forms available for unemployment relief so I can file my amended return?

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

No, we don't, unfortunately.  We are still waiting for the state's release.  

You may want to contact your state to get un update, click here:  States

Check back here:  Unemployment update

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies