turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

st8653

If I am mailing both checks for both Federal Tax and State tax, do I need to attach all print outs and W2 forms?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
SusieR

If I am mailing both checks for both Federal Tax and State tax, do I need to attach all print outs and W2 forms?

Mail your federal return with the federal check (made out to "The Internal Revenue Service") with your W-2's etc.  Then, mail the state return printout in to your specific state along with your state check AND another copy of your W-2's etc. Hopefully you received multiple copies of your W-2 to facilitate this.
st8653

SusieR----I am confused.  After your reply telling me I do have to mail Federal and State return along with W2's, I then received an answer from Anthony telling me I do not need to attach my returns nor copies of W2 forms.  

@st8653 It depends on how you actually filed the return.  Your question only references that you are mailing checks.  So, if you electronically filed your return, but are mailing the checks for payment - then no need to include your returns and W2s.  There should be a payment voucher you can use (Form 1040V) and you can send your check with this voucher.

If you are mailing your return and checks, then you need to include your return, W2s and check.  TurboTax would have printed you a filing instruction page.
st8653

How do I electronically file for both Federal and State? I am still going to mail my checks with the Payment Vouchers.

Did you finish completing your return online with TurboTax?  The last step in the process when you follow the interview is to file your return electronically (unless you selected you want to print and mail the return).  

If you finished filing but selected print and mail, then you can still switch it back as long as you haven't mailed the return yet - see this link
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3399683-how-do-i-change-from-mail-to-e-file-in-turbotax-online">ht...>
st8653

Thank you. I have not mailed my checks yet. In MA we have until 04/17/19 to be postmarked. Thanks for the link.

If you are only mailing payment , then you do not need to attach your returns or copies of W2s for federal or state.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies