How to transfer 2015 tax file to the 2016 program -- pick your situation below:
2015 Online to 2016 Online
Simple – just sign in with the same login you used on last year's return and we'll do the rest. Forgot your login?
Note: To transfer last year's return to 2016 Federal Free Edition, you'll need to accept the upgrade to TurboTax PLUS which appears shortly after you sign in.
2015 Online to 2016 Downloaded
If you prepared your 2015 return online, in order for your previous year tax information to transfer into your Desktop software you need to download your 2015 Online return as a .tax2015 file.
can't get or didn't save the .tax file to your computer before online was shut
down Oct 15 or lost it, there is a way to do it by starting your
return in the 2016 Online version, transfer into that and then you can switch
and continue in the desktop version and you won't have to pay for
online. Expand the 3rd section for transferring an Online return in
2015 Downloaded to 2016 Online
Last year's tax data file (.tax files) can be transferred to Online Deluxe and higher-tier versions.
1. Sign in to TurboTax Online, if you haven't already done so.
2. Select Tools from the My Account menu in the upper right corner.
3. In the pop-up window, select Transfer last year's TurboTax return from your computer.
4. Read the warning and then click Continue (or Cancel to abort the transfer).
5. Browse to where you saved your .tax2015 file and select it.
6. Click Transfer Return and wait for your file to finish uploading.
7. When you see Transfer Complete, click Continue to start working on your return.
2015 Downloaded to 2016 Downloaded
Do you have the 2015 tax file on your computer? It ends in .tax2015. You need that to transfer into 2016. First thing you do is start a new return and it should find all your 2015 files and ask if you want to transfer them.
Here's how for Mac:
Here's how for Windows:https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901506-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-turbotax-for-windows