Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Last year I claim a $15000 new roof on taxes as a home owner. can I amend last year and remove that and move it to this year?

Or can I amend last year and claim the15000 as rental lost income?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Last year I claim a $15000 new roof on taxes as a home owner. can I amend last year and remove that and move it to this year?

No. the credit must be claimed in the year the project was done and paid for,

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

No. the credit must be claimed in the year the project was done and paid for,

Ok can I amend last year and move the 15000 repair from home owner to rental property?
Hal_Al
Level 15

I'm not sure what that means. But, you can probably do both, if the house was converted from your residence to a rental unit, after the improvement was made.

You claim the energy credit on your 2015 return, on your residence. Even it the house was a rental unit, at the time you did the work, the energy credit is still claimed on form 5695 and line 53 of form 1040 , not schedule E

When you converted the unit to rental, you add the $15K to your cost basis and depreciate it over 27.5 years.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies