Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

crpa1

It took me 5 years to complete the adoption of my daughter. I never reported/claimed the expenses prior to 2015 (2011 - $5K and 2012 $4k). Can I still claim them?

The adoption was finalized in 2016. My adopted daughter was born a US citizen and does not have special needs. Thanks
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

It took me 5 years to complete the adoption of my daughter. I never reported/claimed the expenses prior to 2015 (2011 - $5K and 2012 $4k). Can I still claim them?

Unfortunately, you can't claim credits for costs in 2011 because the statute for filing a claim has expired.  Adoptions credits can only be claimed in the year following payment or the year the adoption is final, whichever is earlier.  Under that rule:

• 2011 expenses would be claimed on your 2012 return,  The statute for refunds expired April 15, 2016.
  • 2012 expenses would be claimed on your 2013 return,  The statute for refunds expires April 15, 2017.  Make sure you file a claim for refund for 2013 (for costs paid in 2012) on or before that date.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

Unfortunately, you can't claim credits for costs in 2011 because the statute for filing a claim has expired.  Adoptions credits can only be claimed in the year following payment or the year the adoption is final, whichever is earlier.  Under that rule:

• 2011 expenses would be claimed on your 2012 return,  The statute for refunds expired April 15, 2016.
  • 2012 expenses would be claimed on your 2013 return,  The statute for refunds expires April 15, 2017.  Make sure you file a claim for refund for 2013 (for costs paid in 2012) on or before that date.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies