turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I found out I owe the irs but it was after I filled through T.T and I still haven't received a refund. I've never been through this before. Can this stop my deposit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I found out I owe the irs but it was after I filled through T.T and I still haven't received a refund. I've never been through this before. Can this stop my deposit?

Are you saying that you got a letter from the IRS (like a CP2000) reporting that you owe tax from a prior year?

The process of handling these "letter audits" (as the IRS calls them) is separate from the e-filing and refund process.

This means that while the IRS has the right to take any refund to pay any money that you owe, they won't until the letter audit process is completed (you have to reply to this letter, correct?) by which point your refund from your already e-filed return will have probably already arrived to you.

Hi! I just got the letter yesterday and yes I have to reply. my efile was accepted by the irs jan 29 and I still haven't gotten it. I wasn't sure on if it was because of the letter I received or not.

It takes about 2-3 weeks to handle the refund on the e-file processing, although the IRS can hold your return for a variety of reasons (identity verification, earned income credit eligibility checking, etc.).

But in a sense, you don't "owe" the money yet, because you haven't written back (they usually give you about three weeks to reply) confirming that you accept their change to the return - by which point you are very likely to have your refund. Give it another week - and be sure to answer that letter in a timely fashion - even if you can't pay it yet, the worst thing in the world is to NOT reply to an IRS letter.

Thank you!!!! I plan on replying! I don’t want them at my door lol
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies