turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lucyk2084

I already filed my taxes but received another w-2 in the mail today and went back and added it but I'm not to sure if it went through or not.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I already filed my taxes but received another w-2 in the mail today and went back and added it but I'm not to sure if it went through or not.

It did not.

You can't make changes to a tax return after it is filed except by filing an amended return.  Amended returns must be printed and mailed, they can't be e-filed.

1. Make no changes to your tax file until you are ready to amend.  If you made changes after e-filing, un-do those changes.

2. Wait to file the amended return until your first tax return is accepted, your refund is approved, and your refund is paid.  If your tax return is rejected, you can make your changes without amending, because a rejected return is the same as never filing one.  If your tax return is accepted, wait until your refund is paid before you amend your tax return. If the IRS changes your refund amount, you need to take that into account.

3. After your refund is paid, you can file the amended return.  Log into your account and open your return and look for "File an amended return" under "Some things you can do."  Make sure to follow the instructions carefully.  Mail your amended return using a mail method that includes tracking, such as FedEx, or US Priority Mail.  If you are expecting an additional refund, it will take 4-5 months.

See here for more, 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

View solution in original post

1 Reply

It did not.

You can't make changes to a tax return after it is filed except by filing an amended return.  Amended returns must be printed and mailed, they can't be e-filed.

1. Make no changes to your tax file until you are ready to amend.  If you made changes after e-filing, un-do those changes.

2. Wait to file the amended return until your first tax return is accepted, your refund is approved, and your refund is paid.  If your tax return is rejected, you can make your changes without amending, because a rejected return is the same as never filing one.  If your tax return is accepted, wait until your refund is paid before you amend your tax return. If the IRS changes your refund amount, you need to take that into account.

3. After your refund is paid, you can file the amended return.  Log into your account and open your return and look for "File an amended return" under "Some things you can do."  Make sure to follow the instructions carefully.  Mail your amended return using a mail method that includes tracking, such as FedEx, or US Priority Mail.  If you are expecting an additional refund, it will take 4-5 months.

See here for more, 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies