Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is there a way to recover information since I worked on my return a long time and then my computer shut off suddenly? Does turbotax not auto-save at all?

I spent a lot of time entering all of my business deductions and then my computer shut down. When I turned in back on and opened turbo tax, nothing that I just worked on is showing up. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Is there a way to recover information since I worked on my return a long time and then my computer shut off suddenly? Does turbotax not auto-save at all?

The version of Turbotax that you install and run on your home computer does not auto-save. When you exit that version, it asks if you want to save the file. Otherwise, you have to initiate a save by clicking on the top line menu File, then Save.

Recent versions of Turbotax create a temporary file when you open a tax return. You might want to look in the Turbotax folder in your Documents folder and see if there is a .tax file whose name begins with a "~" character and then open that file.
daveschmd

I had shut down without thinking to save my partner's return.   Old versions of TT seemed to prompt you to save early on.  As you advised, I Used finder to find the autosave temporary file with the ~ .    THANK YOU!  

Saved hours of re-do time!   I will suggest to TT that they put in a save suggestion for early in the interview, critical!

When you close a return there is an auto prompt to save the return  but if you did a computer shut down instead you would not have gotten it.  

If you had closed the return prior to this then it should open at the prior saved spot.  

Remember to use the save feature (in the FILE tab of the menu bar) frequently as you complete each section so if the computer turns off unexpectedly all you have to redo is the last part entered. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies