Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RSW2019

Is the Child and Other Dependent Tax Credit new for 2018? Turbotax says I get the credit for my 16 year old daughter, but I did not get it last year.

The credit given is $2,000 for my daughter.  I went to IRS with the same question and the Interactive Tax Assistant tool gave me the same answer.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Is the Child and Other Dependent Tax Credit new for 2018? Turbotax says I get the credit for my 16 year old daughter, but I did not get it last year.

Ye, the Child Tax Credit is enhanced this year and available to more people with higher incomes.  Last year the credit was $1,000 and phased out at lower income levels.  This year, the credit is $2000 per child, and is available to those who are filing as single, head of household, or married filing separately up to $200,000 of income, and up to $400,000 for married couples filing a joint return.  If you didn't see this credit last year, but you do this year, it may be that your income level allows you to claim this credit this year whereas in the past that was not the case.

The Other Dependent credit are for dependents you claim that do not qualify for the Child Tax Credit.  The phaseout is the same level, but the credit is $500 per "other dependent".  This credit was instituted because the personal exemptions for dependents has been eliminated.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks to Senator Marco Rubio! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies