Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is it possible to e-file without an US-issued ID? I want to direct deposit since I live abroad and it won't let me do the file by mail with that. What should I do?

We did the direct deposit through my friend's account because that was the easiest and most convenient way. Checks are not convenient for me because I live out of country. So what are my options here?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Is it possible to e-file without an US-issued ID? I want to direct deposit since I live abroad and it won't let me do the file by mail with that. What should I do?

Using someone else's bank account is a bad idea.   The likely result of doing that is that the bank will reject the deposit and return it to the IRS.  Then the IRS will mail a check to you---delaying your refund by the several weeks it takes for that.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901159-can-i-deposit-my-tax-refund-into-someone-else-s-account

The IRS will not do a direct deposit to a foreign bank account.  They will mail a check to the address on your tax return,

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

If you have a tax refund, that refund can only be directly deposited into a US bank located in the US.  Otherwise, The IRS can mail the refund as a check to your foreign address.  It is an option the IRS offers.  Just make sure to include your foreign address on your tax return.

As far as your friend's bank, I will suggest you to check with your friend's bank for verification.  Many banks do not accept a electronic direct deposit if the name on the check does not match the owner's account's name.  To see other options, click here: Options

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies