nellilaurio

Is it possible to e-file without an US-issued ID? I want to direct deposit since I live abroad and it won't let me do the file by mail with that. What should I do?

We did the direct deposit through my friend's account because that was the easiest and most convenient way. Checks are not convenient for me because I live out of country. So what are my options here?

Using someone else's bank account is a bad idea.   The likely result of doing that is that the bank will reject the deposit and return it to the IRS.  Then the IRS will mail a check to you---delaying your refund by the several weeks it takes for that.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901159-can-i-deposit-my-tax-refund-into-someone-else-s-account

The IRS will not do a direct deposit to a foreign bank account.  They will mail a check to the address on your tax return,

LinaJ2020

If you have a tax refund, that refund can only be directly deposited into a US bank located in the US.  Otherwise, The IRS can mail the refund as a check to your foreign address.  It is an option the IRS offers.  Just make sure to include your foreign address on your tax return.

As far as your friend's bank, I will suggest you to check with your friend's bank for verification.  Many banks do not accept a electronic direct deposit if the name on the check does not match the owner's account's name.  To see other options, click here: Options