Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Frank122

IRS refund was $3200 lower than turbo tax calculated.

IRS refund was $3200 lower than turbo tax calculated. There explanation is that Child tax credit was applied in wrong order of priority compared to other credits. Makes no sense to me because I just enter my data and let the software figure it out. l need to understand if there is a turbo tax issue or something else. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

we can't see your return so don't know what credits other than the CTC was on it. 

Nonrefundable Credits: These are applied first. Nonrefundable credits can reduce your tax liability to zero but cannot result in a refund. Examples include the Child Tax Credit (CTC) and the Lifetime Learning Credit.
Refundable Credits: After nonrefundable credits are applied, refundable credits come next. These credits can reduce your tax liability below zero, resulting in a refund. Examples include the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and the Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC - partially refundable).
General Business Credits: These are typically applied after nonrefundable personal credits but before refundable credits. They include various credits for businesses, such as the Research and Development Credit.
The specific order can vary depending on the credits you qualify for and your individual tax situation.

We cannot see your return.   We do not know what other credits you have on your Form 1040 or how much income you had.

Look at your 2023 Form 1040 to see the child-related credits you received

PREVIEW 1040

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Child Tax Credit line 19

Credit for Other Dependents line 19

Earned Income Credit line 27

Additional Child Tax Credit line 28

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies